Friday 12 March 2010

Unfriendly=Understatement Cont.

Next we went to Berlin, and I loved it, despite the weather. It was SO COLD and WINDY! Probably like Boston. It's a huge city with different types of architecture and neighborhoods. The main thing I noticed was how friendly people were, which I would not have imagined. I always thought that the Germans were a stern group, but not true. I didn't realize how much I was enjoying Germany until the train ride back to Prague. The closer we got, the less I wanted to come back. And the reason is that the Czech people have got to be the most unfriendly people on Earth. I hear the Russians are unfriendly, but I haven't met them. For the first month in Prague I was enjoying that no one makes small talk, you don't have to act friendly if your in a bad mood, and not only do you not have to hold the door, they look at you like your nuts if you do. Initially this was working out pretty well for me because I'm not big on mandatory friendliness. However, it has started to wear on me, and I realized it on the train back from Berlin. People in Prague, will NOT look at you or speak to you, and it's not just foreigners. They will push you before they will help you or hold a door. I have not met a single Czech person that I could have coffee with and I'll be shocked if that changes before we head back to the U.S. It's unfortunate because the city is SO old and beautiful. It's a good place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment