Thursday 8 April 2010

Segway-Where have you been all my life?

Jen and her parents came to visit this last week and it was SOOOO nice to see friends from home. We did lots of eating and sightseeing, but the best thing we did was the segway tour. Unfortunately we couldn't do it until after Mary Jane and Michael had gone back to Raleigh, so it was just Jen and me (plus 4 other strangers). First, our instructor, Jerry, had each of us do a trial run, one at a time. Everyone did great, no trouble. When it was my turn, I wobbled out of control, ran up the curb and fell off. Perfect. At that point I saw a sign for mojitos and was thinking that perhaps my afternoon would be better (and safer) spent on the restaurant porch with a cocktail. (Of course Jen got a video of me wrecking-it's probably on her facebook page.) Also, if you don't want to be the center of attention, a segway is not your best option. You look completely nerdy zipping around standing up wearing a helmet. That being said, segwaying is FANTASTIC! Jen and I have decided to go on segway tours in every city that has them. We had a 2 1/2 hr. tour where Jerry took us to see things we wouldn't have found on our own and gave us stories that may not be in the history books. Example: There is an old church that no longer has services. The reason: Years ago, the priest was an alcoholic and started selling the organ pipes one by one to pay for his cocktails. The organ no longer works. Jerry told us all kinds of juicy tidbits about Prague-I should have done the tour my first week here. The tour cost $75.00 which seemed steep initially, but I would pay it again in a minute-it was more than worth it. I can't wait to do the one in Raleigh-let me know if you want to join our segway team!

No comments:

Post a Comment