Thursday 11 February 2010

Smoking and Fitness

It turns out that the Czech people do not smoke in as many public places as I had imagined. I had envisioned smoking on the treadmill, in the produce section, at the elementary schools, in the hospitals, etc. Realistically, it is mostly restaurants and bars. SOMETIMES they have a non-smoking section (of 4 tables) but the second-hand smoke has so thoroughly saturated the place that it makes zero difference.
I had heard a rumor that the gyms here had a bar with cocktails and smoking for before, after, (and during?) your workouts. Well, I've only been to one gym and there was no one smoking. And as far as I could tell, there were no cocktails either (sadly). The only "bar" is a smoothie bar and I don't think that they are spiking the smoothies. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. Not that I wanted to be wheezing on second-hand smoke during a yoga class, but the irony would have been pretty funny.
I signed up for a Pilates class at the gym. I was waiting for the instructor on a bench outside the room with a few other ladies. Two feet in front of me was a weight machine. A body-builder who was 6'15'' about 300 lbs. comes over and has to use this machine. The gym was empty, but apparently he had to use THIS machine. Not only that, but he had to grunt LOUD with each rep. It was hilarious! Maybe it was all a coincidence, but it sure felt like he was trying to impress us while he blasted his delts.
So more and more people are showing up for Pilates and I'm getting worried because its giving me a flashback of the time I signed up for water aerobics and was the youngest by at least 40 years. Then the instructor shows up. All of my previous instructors (in the U.S.) have been very thin, super-fit women who could kick Wonder Woman's ass. Not only is my instructor a DUDE, but he's huge (almost as big as the delt-blaster) and covered in tattoos! Hmm. Like everything else in Prague, not what I was expecting.
It turned out to be a really challenging class-more like a combination of Pilates and high-school p.e., but still worth the 100Crowns ($6.00).
Next I'm going to try yoga or zumba. Not speaking Czech makes these classes a whole new adventure-its really helping me learn how to count to 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment