Thursday 4 February 2010

What a Difference a Decade Makes

Today was the last day of classes for the week (no class on Fridays) so of course people are ready to unwind. The interesting thing is that our NCSU group has around 25-30 people, 75% of them female. In addition, many of them are as young as 19, and the legal drinking age of 18 is really just a suggestion. So one might imagine that the activities that the ladies have planned might not coincide with the ones that I have planned. Some of the grad students, Dave and myself were playing cards with one of the professors in the common area when we got an anonymous tip. Apparently the ladies were getting ready for a big night out that wasn't starting until midnight and didn't require much clothing. Well, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see the train before the wreck, so I marched upstairs for some small talk. Nevermind the fact that I don't know any of their names or have spoken more than 5 words to any of them. Also, I was wearing my favorite outfit-grey sweatshirt (too big), bright green sweatpants (sagging in the butt), brown fuzzy socks and teal danskos. Also, I had a braid on one side of my head because the other side had come out. It is amazing that they didn't assume that I was a homeless person. I made enough small talk to get a good look at things (micro mini-skirts, cleavage everywhere) and then they asked me what I was doing. Maybe they thought that I just hadn't started getting ready yet. After all, it was only 10:30. I still had plenty of time. I almost choked to keep from laughing. I wished them fun times and headed back to our room. I just hope I get to see the remnants of the trainwreck tomorrow. How was it so much fun 15 years ago and now is absolutely unbearable? Signing off-it's 11:30 and almost past my bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment